The field of study and research of this Section are energy systems, energy technologies, mechanical technologies, methods of product engineering, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics. In the energy sector, the main research directions are toward the industrial product and complex and innovative systems of energy conversion. Also research on basic and fundamental aspects (chemical, physical and mathematical) without immediate effects on industrial application are supported and encouraged. In the mechanical technologis sector, the main research directions are aimed to the use of industrialization techniques for new products design both with traditional and innovative methodologies, with a view of the ever-widening impact of non-conventional techniques and innovative materials processing.
High priority in this research area is given to the following broad topics:
- experimental and numerical fluid dynamics and heat transfer;
- multiphase flows for industrial applications;
- energy conversion systems and power production technologies;
- processes and sensors for safety in the agro-food industry;
- cogeneration, micro-distributed, and hybrid power facilities;
- applied acoustics;
- thermodynamics of irreversible and non-equilibrium phenomena;
- multiscale methods for transport phenomena;
- production methods for biomedical devices;
- incremental forming;
prof. Pietro Poesio
List of pubblications
- Poesio, G.P. Beretta, and T. Thorsen, Dissolution of a Liquid Microdroplet in a Nonideal Liquid-Liquid Mixture Far from Thermodynamic Equilibrium, Physical Review Letters, ISSN 0031-9007, Vol. 103, 064501 (2009).
- Di Fede, P. Poesio, and G.P. Beretta, Heat transfer enhancement in a small pipe by spinodal decomposition of a low viscosity, liquid-liquid, strongly non-regular mixture, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 55, 897-906 (2012).
- P. Beretta, P. Iora, and A.F. Ghoniem, Novel approach for fair allocation of primary energy consumption among cogenerated energy-intensive products based on the actual local-area production scenario, Energy: the International Journal, Vol. 44, 1107-1120 (2012). doi:10.1016/j.energy.2012.04.047.
- P. Beretta, Quantum thermodynamic Carnot and Otto-like cycles for a two-level system, EPL – Europhysics Letters, ISSN 1286-4854, Vol. 99, 20005 (2012). doi:10.1209/0295-5075/99/20005.
- P. Beretta, P. Iora, and A.F. Ghoniem, Allocating electricity production from a hybrid fossil-renewable power plant among its multi primary resources, Energy: the International Journal, Vol. 60, 344-360 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2013.07.047.
- M. Invernizzi, T. van der Stelt, Supercritical and Real Gas Brayton Cycles Operating With Mixtures of Carbon Dioxide and Hydrocarbons, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers – Part A, Journal of Power and Energy, 226(5), pp. 682-693 (2012).
- Invernizzi C.M., Iora P., Sandrini R., Biomass Combined Cycles Based on Externally Fired Gas Turbines and Organic Rankine Expanders, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers – Part A, Journal of Power and Energy, Vol. 225, pp. 1066-1075 (2011).
- Angelino G., Invernizzi C.M.,The Role of Real Gas Brayton Cycles for Use of Liquid Natural Gas Physical Exergy, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 31, pp. 827-833 (2011).
- Invernizzi C.M., Stirling Engines Using Working Fluids with Strong Real Gas Effects, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 30, pp. 1703-1710 (2010).
- Bombarda P., Invernizzi C.M., Pietra C., Heat Recovery From Diesel Engines: a Thermodynamic Comparison Between Kalina and ORC Cycles, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 30, pp. 212-219 (2010).
- Iora P., Thangavelautham J. Design of a mobile PEM power backup system through detailed dynamic and control analysis, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 37, pp. 17191-17202 (2012).
- Iora P., Thaer M., Chiesa. , Brandon N.P.. A one dimensional solid oxide electrolyzer-fuel cell stack model and its application to the analysis of a high efficiency system for oxygen production, Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 80, pp. 293-305 (2012).
- Beretta, G.P., Iora, P., Ghoniem, A.F., 2012. Novel approach for fair allocation of primary energy consumption among cogenerated energy-intensive products based on the actual local area production scenario, Energy, vol. 44, pp. 1107-1120 (2012).
- Iora P., Silva P., Innovative combined heat and power system based on a double shaft intercooled externally fired gas cycle, Applied Energy, vol. 105, pp. 108-115 (2013).
- Iora P., Thaer M., Chiesa. , Brandon N.P.. A novel system for the production of pure hydrogen from natural gas based on SOFC-SOEC technology. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, pp. 12680-12687 (2010).
- Demori, D. Strazza, V. Ferrari, and P. Poesio. “A Capacitive Sensor System for the Analysis of Two-Phase Flows of Oil and Conductive Water”. Sensors and Actuators A, 163:172-179 (2010).
- Demori, V. Ferrari, and P. Poesio, D. Strazza. “A microfluidic capacitance sensor for discrimination and characterization”. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 172(1):212-219 (2011).
- Ooms, M.J.B.M Pourquie, and P. Poesio. “Numerical study of eccentric core annular flow”. Int. J. Multiphase Flow, 42, 38-45 (2012).
- Foletti, S. Farise, B. Grassi, D. Strazza, M. Lancini, and P. Poesio. “Experimental investigation on two-phase air-high viscosity oil flow in a horizontal pipe”. Chem. Eng. Sci., 66(23):5968-5975 (2011).
- Di Fede, P. Poesio, and G.P. Beretta, “Heat transfer enhancement in a small pipe by spinodal decomposition of a low viscosity, liquid-liquid, strongly non-regular mixture”. Int. J. Heat & Mass Transfer, 55(4):897-906 (2012).